IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THIS WEBSITE - DO NOT SKIP
This website has been designed by Australian farmers to help other Australian farmers cope effectively with life’s challenges and get the most out of every day. It does this by sharing practical ways of coping with difficult circumstances, thoughts and feelings (especially worries about things you can’t control) and helping you to work out where it is most useful for you to put your attention and energy.
You can do this from the privacy of your home, tractor or shed. The site will even send you text message reminders to keep you focused, and it is free!
The website is designed to be useful for BOTH farmers who are currently feeling down or stressed AND those who would simply like some new tools to improve their ability to cope with uncertainty associated with life on the land.
By completing the five short modules on this website you will learn new tools to equip you to take charge and reduce the negative impact that stressful situations have on your life, so that you have more time and energy to focus on the things that make you happy.
If you’d like to take a quick tour, click play on the video below.
Of course, learning these skills requires time and energy, willingness to practise and a commitment to try to incorporate new strategies into your life. However, if you get good at these skills and can master the art of spending less time going over and over things ‘in your head’, in the long run it will save you time, and also possibly a few unfortunate farm mishaps, that often happen when you are doing one activity while being caught up in thoughts about another!
Some farmers have said they like to think of the strategies this website shares as tools to improve their ‘thinking clout’.
There are five modules for you to work through at your leisure:
1. Taking stock of your current wellbeing and some practical strategies to get you started
2. Thoughts are like bullies - how to spend less time ‘in your head'
3. Doing what really matters - how to get the most out of a busy life
4. Training your ‘attention muscle’ and focusing on the ‘here and now’ - a more pleasant, less exhausting place to be
5. Putting it all together and moving forward
Allow 30-40 minutes to do a module. The next module will then be made available to you two weeks later (you will receive a text to let you know). It’s important to give yourself a break before you complete the next module. This will give you time to get good at using your new tools from one module, before learning more in the next. Please be patient and try to complete each module in full. However, if you do have to stop part way through a module, you can use the 'Save and continue later' button and return at a later date.
We think you will find it interesting, and even - at times - fun. By the end of the modules, the aim is for you to be less focused on thoughts and things you can’t control and more focused on your family, friends, farm or whatever it is that matters to you most.
The website is currently being evaluated. If you choose to proceed you will be required to start off by signing a consent form and answering some questions. This also means that at the moment, only people who:
• Are 18 years of age or older
• Are fluent in English
• Have access to the internet
• Have their own mobile phone (that is in phone range at least once per week) and know how to read text messages, and
• Currently own or play an active role in the operation of a farming or pastoral enterprise in Australia (or are the partner of someone who currently owns or plays an active role in the operation of a farming or pastoral enterprise in Australia), including grain, sheep, cattle, dairy, horticulture, market garden, fruit growing, poultry, viticulture, cane, and cotton farming,
are eligible to use this website.
If you choose to participate you will also be asked some questions immediately after completing the fifth module, and then six months later. If you are eligible and complete all of these steps, you will receive a $100 voucher to partly reimburse you for the time you spent completing the questionnaires.
Please note that the parts of the website that are only there for the purposes of the evaluation (and will eventually be removed, like this notice) have a yellow background.